Thread: Post-Game Talk: Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.
View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 AM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
I live in Calgary and was listening to the Fan 960 today talking about Saturday's game. And I noticed that there's a real sea change in how the Oilers are being talked about in other markets.

In years past, a market like Calgary would trot out the usual cliches about the BoA/rivalry/etc and then go into the normal talk about whatever was the issue of the day for that team; Iginla scoring or not scoring, how Kipper is playing, etc.

You're starting to notice now that this has changed. Now, its much more about, 'what do we have to do to beat the Oilers?'. Like instead of the conversation being about Baertschi and his play and why he's being scratched or what have you, its now, 'well, if we take Baertschi out, we can play Begin and we need good penalty-killers so that PP doesn't kill us, and Baertschi might hurt us defensively against all that offense. . .'

You see this on other teams' boards here, you hear it other markets besides Calgary, too.

Before, the Oilers were just the backdrop for whatever was going on with the opposition. Now, its becoming, 'how do we stop these guys?'
I listened to that this morning too, and was thinking the same thing.

before it was "Oilers coming to town, wonder if Kipper gets a shutout, or maybe they play the backup and save him for the next game?"

"Wonder how man guys get on the scoresheet, etc."

Now it's " Who tries to match up against Hall and Eberle, but then who do we have to play against Gagner and Yakupov,etc."

We're finally seeing the team grow into a real team, and not an afterthought.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote