View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Look, I can believe that Ovechkin is in serious decline, but what about Nicklas Backstrom, when did he become a bum? He's a top-15 center isn't he?

They have Green, Carlson, Alzner, Hammer-lick on the back-end, that's not elite, but that't not crap either.

I do think that replacing Semin with Ribeiro was a bonehead move.
Hey, I don't seriously think they are favourites for Jones, but I think this team is in serious trouble. Ovechkin and Green look washed up at 27, and that team has been far too reliant on Ovie over the years. I think a divorce is coming and it's going to be a painful one.

Backstrom will be fine but he can't carry rapidly declining wingers. Carlson and Alzner I'm not convinced are game changers, they still have developing to do and neither of them can replicate Green's offense. Hamrlik can still play but he's not even as good as he was for the Habs two years ago, let alone good enough to carry Green's horrible defense or produce offensively to any significant degree.

Adam Oates is in over his head and can't make up for their disintegrating core or lack of heart. The team has serious holes and doesn't have the coaching, goaltending or leadership to make up for it. Hopefully there's enough talent left to keep them from the lotto, but they look like a team on the verge of crisis to me.