View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Look I'm not saying not to do it. What I'm saying is that it's not a decision you make lightly when dealing your 1st overall pick. For example what if Malkin gets injured like 2 years ago. You also have to factor in the scouting team, what's their opinion is Yakupov likely, very likely, or not likely to ever post similar numbers as Evgeni. If you're wrong then you end paying a big price.

It's all hypothetical, but I'm astounded as the reaction people have in diminishing the value of 1st overall picks vs well established players... I mean I heard someone write that PK Subban is 1 to 1 deal for Hall or RNH.
Trust me, I believe in the value of number one picks... ask anyone.

But what you're talking about is dealing young established stars who are proven for a 1st overall prospect. I understand the logic and in some cases I might even agree. But in the case of Subban + our first for Yakupov it really doesn't make sense esp since we'd be giviing up a 1st ourselves.

Even PK for Yakupov straight up... it's hard for me to justify giving up PK. Yakupov could turn out to be the better player by far but we've already got Galchenyuk who's close to his skill level. Moreover, we've got nobody to replace Subban should he leave. So even if we get the best player out of it, we're still setting ourselves back. Hence, even in a straight up deal I don't think it makes sense to do it. Not based on what we know today.

I will concede to you however that in five years with the benefit of hindsight it might be a different story. Maybe Yak becomes a superstar and PK doesn't. But right now with what we know, it doesn't make sense to make even a straight up trade.