View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Chaz McNulty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I would counter by saying that Gillis is going to trade Roberto Luongo not because he thinks Schneider is better, but because he thinks Schneider _could_ be better in a short time AND provide the Cancuks with a player who can help them compete for the cup beyond the shelf life of Luongo.

I think in essence that is why most Vancouver fans want a young quality player++ in return for Luongo because they also realize that such a player would be helpful for them long term... perhaps past the shelf life of the Sedins.

It is that very type of forethought that it seems you are suggesting the Leafs should _ignore_ so they can _pay up_ and try to make the playoffs with an aging Luongo.

Seems like a contradiction to me.
I think you are completely wrong. Gillis is keeping Schneider because he is one of the best goalies in the league right now. It would not surprise me if he's a Vezina trophy finalist this year. Ray Ferraro has commented that he believes that Schneider may be a generational talent.

Schneider helps them with both the present and the future.

I don't see any contradiction at all. I don't think that the Leafs should trade for Luongo. The only way this will go down is if Nonis feels that his job depends on him making the playoffs.