View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 01:19 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Skating is important, but not as important as anticipation, positioning, and the like. Lidstrom was never an elite skater. Really he was average to slightly above average at best. He proved that you can excel using other skills, much like Ouellet is showing.

Bret Hedican was fast as the wind forwards and backwards but he was never more than a #3/4 type. Heck, just look at Brett Lebda to see why skating might be one of the more overrated benchmarks for a defenseman.
But you're naming NHL d-man, even Lebda had more than just a short stint in the NHL. Guys with the skating that Jensen has, generally make the show in some capacity. I am not saying he will be a star, just saying I see no way it doesn't get him to the big show at some point.

Hedican also played over a 1,000 games and was one of the better #3/4 types out there. He tailored that speed into a solid stay at home game, remains to be seen if Jensen can do that.

Ouellet is no doubt a much better player. I am a huge fan, his hockey IQ is impressive. He reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose. Guy just rarely makes mistakes. I just don't think a lot of people know much about Jensen, I am fortunate enough to have seen him on a couple times and his skating is NHL level electric, especially for a backend guy. He also isn't a small guy either and a right handed shot, if we can turn him into a speedy stay at home guy I will jump with joy.