Thread: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
01-26-2013, 04:51 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
Derek Stepan is 22. When Jeff Halpern was 22 he was still playing in college. Halpern's career high is 46 points as a 27 year old in 03/04. Stepan had 45 points as a 20 year old rookie in 10/11.

I agree that Stepan has not been at his best (over a 4 game sample), but I don't see the comparison to Halpern.
The comparison is that Stepan now is as good as Halpern was in his prime.

Stepan has not improved at all it seems from last season, and offensively not much from his rookie season (defense, FO etc has of course improved). If he doesn't improve, he will in other words never become better than Halpern was in his prime.

If we signed a 30 y/o UFA and got an exact copy of what we get from Stepan now, or last season, everyone would be up in arms. Stepan isn't 30 y/o, two season he was a 20 y/o and we all loved him, not because of his play really, but because of his potential. One season ago Stepan was 21 y/o, and we all loved him not because of his play but because of his potential. Then he bombed in the PO's when we really needed him, and there might have occured a little crack in the armor. Then this season, after a off-season of 10 month's, he is still the same, maybe a little stronger and smarter defensively but worse shape physically.

My point is just that Stepan gotta keep improving.