View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Goaltending is mostly mental, knowing angles, positioning, being square, and situations, basically knowing where to be before the puck gets there, reading the play. If goalies are relying on their physical reflexes all the time, it's really not good, you want the guys that make it look easy.

The most useful goaltending exercises I ever did were not weight related, they were reaction related, most were not even that physically strenuous, they were hand eye coordination exercises. I think umberger did something like that before his breakout year. I don't think conditioning is as important as some might think. Kinda like hitting a baseball, it's more coordination and approach than fitness.
I hear what you're saying, and if you're not coordinated fitness is certainly useless. I agree with that 100%, but I also think leg conditioning is VERY important. I used to be a decent (but not amazing) middle distance runner (5k in ~20.5 minutes @ 5'11'' and 215lb) and squat 275 for reps. After a 2 minute 5 on 3 my legs were on fire, but I was still able to move and stay square to the puck at the top of the crease as it was getting passed around (as opposed to sitting back in net and just turning my head). I think muscular conditioning in the legs is really important for penalty killing and staying with the play for extended periods (overall aerobic fitness less so). That was just my experience though, and it's not meant to discount yours.