Old
01-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Frankly, I think it's utterly ridiculous to have 5(!!!) left handed shots on one PP unit. You see what well coached teams do against that sort of set-up as it forces the team to be one dimensional and they essentially have minimal, low percentage opportunities on said PP. At this point that first unit is getting by on just will (and some skill) alone. The first unit has found success but it should have so much more with a proper set-up.
Absolutely agree with you. The powerplay looks like a hook at this point, instead of an umbrella.

That being said, we have the following righties that we can use on PP:

Devin Setoguchi
Jared Spurgeon
Tom Gilbert

That's it. Brodziak, too, if we want to ditch Cullen and use him instead.

I'd probably do the following:

PP1

Heatley - Koivu - Setoguchi
Suter - Gilbert

PP2

Parise - Granlund - Brodziak
Bouchard - Spurgeon

It's not ideal, but I reckon it'd work. That being said, PP is far from our biggest problem right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I can understand that the coaching staff doesn't want to make wholesale changes to lines when the team literally just started skating together and especially have minimal time to make something else work. But at the same time there needs to be a realization that the way it's currently constructed just doesn't work. There needs to be a willingness to move players up and down the line-up in-game if need be as well.
Yep. We need to try something new. I'd like to see:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
Bouchard - Granlund - Brodziak
Mitchell - Cullen - Setoguchi
Powe - Konopka - Clutterbuck

1st line: Stays as it is, for now at least. I like the idea of putting Granlund in there, but I don't think he's ready, not yet at least. Besides, Koivu is doing just fine. He needs to adjust to his linemates too.

2nd line: Don't look at me like that. I'm not crazy. I honestly think it'd be worth a shot. Granlund and Bouchard are both beautiful to watch, and they can do things with the puck that other players only dream about. Combine their vision and passing, and sky is the limit. Brodziak is there to create some room for the other two and play the two-way game, allowing FBJ and PMB to focus on the offense. Again, gives also an experienced C in case Granlund ****s up at the dot.

3rd line: Hoo boy. Talk about speed. Mitchell brings some grit to otherwise fast and somewhat skilled line. Granted, everyone plays a bit on an island, but I'd like to see what Mitchell and Seto can do together.

4th line: Grit, grit and some more grit. Replace Powe with Kassian when/if necessary. Konopka takes the important face-offs, Powe is there to hustle and disrupt and Clutterbuck hits everything that moves. Bonus points (again) for speed: Powe and Clutterbuck are not exactly slow.

D pairings:

Suter - Spurgeon
Stoner - Gilbert
Falk - Brodin

No surprises there. Scandella replaces Falk once he's healthy. If Brodin plays like he did in Detroit, there's no reason to keep him in Houston. The guy is ready, and could possibly challenge for top-4 if he's capable of playing on the left side.