View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
I think sometimes it's a simple matter of phrasing.

"Did Playing in Switzerland Ruin Seguin's Development" is a pretty devastating headline topic. I think anyone with a grasp of hockey knowledge understands that two months of playing in a different system is not going to completely dismantle the talents of a very talented, up and coming star. "Ruin" implies Seguin's career is ovah.

Now, perhaps "Can Seguin's slow start be attributed to his time in the Swiss League?" is probably is a better way of inviting reasoned discussion. It's more open-ended and less incendiary.

Part of that is reading and taking in the kind of responses one sees to similar questions posed throughout the board.

I remember when I was a kid, my mom always told me to listen first, and then talk. That's sort of a good rule of thumb. Figure out what language the locals speak so you can be understood when you talk to them.

Indeed, there's a helpful way to do it and a not-so-helpful way. It is the internet. There's a degree of arseholery in every corner.
This exactly.

The rule of thumb for any Internet forum, IMHO, should be lurk before you join. Lurk, lurk, lurk. As Kovi said, it's like joining a party, or a community. Survey the lay of the land before making a statement.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote