View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Bobby Smith and Doug Wickenheiser were very good NHLers.
Indeed, and he also fails to mention that most of the best NHLers also had great success in junior. It's not often a player becomes a superstar in the NHL without having been successful in junior. My point wasn't that OHL success necessarily equals NHL success in the long term. There are many things, including age, maturity and physical strength at that point in time, that impact success. In the Gretzky case I think he was two years younger than Smith at the time.

My point is that as of last April, Telegin was older, faster, stronger, and had better puck protection skills than Scheifele playing against the exact same competition (literally - as they were usually on the same line). Given that, there is no reason to believe that he couldn't contribute more to the Jets than Mark will THIS season. As I mentioned above, Mark undoubtably has the higher upside, but Ivan is closer to reaching that potential. Having said that, it's not like either would compete for ROY this year. They are going to be in the 3-5 goals and 10 -12 points range at best in a 48 season. If Mark stays up for the year, I would hope that Jets fans will be pleased with that. Anything beyond is unfair expectations...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote