View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
alexmanu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
At this point, I agree on not targeting defense, but if we trade Ellis/Blum for forward help or Hannan/Gill retires, we may need to look at someone. If Kimmo wanted to come back at a reasonable price, I'd welcome him.

I hope we can land one of those top forwards too, but if I'm Getzlaf/Iginla/Perry/Horton/Clowe/whoever, I don't know why I'd come here. The low taxes are nice, and playing time wouldn't be a problem, but we don't have good line-mates to offer and Trotz is hardly an offensively friendly coach. While we've gotten better, we're still a small market with little national attention. It would take the right kind of player to want to come here: a two-way guy who doesn't like media attention and cares more about playing time than who they're playing with.

If he leaves Florida, I think Stephan Weiss is a great option.

Getzlaf/Perry are fun to think about, but if last off-season taught us anything, it's that we can't just expect free agents to come here. It's an added bonus if they do, not a guarantee.
Money talks. Also the Preds have an elite Goalie in Rinne and an elite D-man in Weber, now we just need an elite forward to complete the trio. I think Perry would be a nice guy to throw a tonne of money at and see what happens. I think as you said someone like Weiss is a more realistic target, much like Horton is. Corey Perry and Jarome Iginla are the two guys who I would target from the start. My secondary targets from the list would probably be Nathan Horton, Alexander Semin, Stephen Weiss.

Poile needs to understand that he has to improve the offense if this franchise is going to get anywhere.