View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
I really don't the hate for this guy... but it seems like the leafs thing to do. I remember Mats constantly getting criticized by fans as being the wrong captain for the team, that we should trade him, that he doesn't play physical, or he floats on the ice and has no heart, etc. It seems like if you're not a "heart and soul" player on the team, you'll get criticized often in your tenure as a leaf. Phil Kessel isn't a heart and soul guy, he's a skilled player and very talented one at that. He along with Kadri have been our most consistent forwards. Phil has scored but he's been constantly generating scoring chances for himself and for his teammates. He's defensive play has also improved, but I think people expect too much, he'll never be the type of physical player or defensive player that everyone wants him to be. I think he'll continue improving defensively, which he has showed improvements on, but he'll never be the physical player people want him to be, it's not his style, and that's fine. You take the good with the bad, he's offensive play is prolific to the point that you can forgive his physical or defensive shortcomings as long as that person isn't a liability, and so far Phil hasn't been a liability in the defensive zone as he use to be.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote