View Single Post
01-26-2013, 01:07 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Because statistically, and according to those who had watched both at the time, Hovinen was more of a long shot/project than Eriksson.
They played in two different leagues. The Finnish league has a lot more scoring- a lot more scoring. The SEL is a very defensive game.

And if someone besides Meltzer said Eriksson>Hovinen before this year I'd like to see it.
Surely, no other quality players have ever been overlooked by 29 other NHL teams. Surely, the Flyers have never made a mistake with goalies.
There have been undrafted guys that have been overlooked and made an impact in the league. I don't recall any that were drafted, unsigned by choice of the team, and made an impact in the league. If you have one feel free to enlighten us.

Perhaps because it's far harder to break into the world of goaltending. There are far, far fewer spots for goalies than skaters. Most teams have their spots filled. Lots of those spots are filled with guys with more experience in NA hockey and don't require adjustment time. Maybe the teams that need more goaltending now, can't afford to waste time developing a prospect, and those content with their prospects don't feel the need to use a contract slot on one more...especially since those guys will all be fighting for ice time in their system. Even in the world of backup goalies, most teams will prefer someone washed up with established NA experience than someone fresh out of Europe but with more potential.
If he's good enough, they'll find room. Six goalies from the SEL alone, were signed to NHL contracts just this summer.

Answer me this: if your goalie cupboard is pretty much empty, does it make sense to go with the guy generally recognized as being more established and who has the better overall chance of success? Or does it make more sense to go with someone with less chance of success and a spotty record?
First off I would go with both if I thought they had NHL potential. It was not a one vs. the other scenario people like the portray. The Flyers went with the guy they thought was on the way up. The guy with more potential who looked to be coming into his own. It didn't work out. I think things could have been handled differently from the Flyers perspective, but that's for another day.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote