Thread: Proposal: take pity on noobs
View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Culture of Hockey
Classless Fanboy

vCash: 500
Something else to consider.....you have a new kind of hockey fan out there who's passioned, rabid, and an intense watcher and learner of the game but maybe doesn't know all the ins and outs because they didnt grow up with the game.

I bring it up as our friend Afam has identified himself as someone who came from another country where hockey really isn't played. Mind you, I don't bring it up on his behalf, as he's clearly showed he's more than capable of doing it himself. I bring it up because I have friends who are recently new to hockey and new to the country where English isn't their first language. Some things can get lost in translation like lingo, but that's learned over time and use. Learners and teachers alike just need to be patient.

Seriously, try explaining the red line debate to a new fan.

At least here in Boston Metro, there's a lot of opportunity to grow the fan base by introducing folks to hockey. There's an enthusiasm gap (at least there is to me) in that the Celtics are pretty blah, the Pats are done and the Red Sox are better found on Soap Net for the time being.

Right now, the Bruins are the game in town. It's a perfect time to open the fold and grow the sport, introduce it to new fans.

Culture of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote