View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
I know Luongo is saying all the right things and being a good teammate, but if Schneider runs away with the No. 1 job, I can't see a star player who's accustomed to starting being fine sitting on the bench until the trade deadline, all the while getting to play once a week and helping the efforts of a team he will be competing against down the line (especially if he lands on a playoff team).

Perhaps Bobby Mac's report about Roberto making his list longer than expected is Luongo's concession to Gillis: I give you more trading partners, and you shorten my stay on the bench (get me out of here quicker).

An NHL career is relatively short, and when you're 34 years old, still capable of starting yet supplanted as your team's No. 1, hearing your GM say he'll take his sweet time (perhaps waiting until the off-season, even) for the right offer can wear thin on you quickly.

The longer this trade takes, the shorter Roberto's list gets,the more sour the Luongo/Gillis relationship will turn and the more likely Roberto is waived and/or simply bought out this summer.

This is Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady, Trent Green-Kurt Warner, Alex Smith-Colin Kaepernick.

Hoping Gillis does right by Luongo very soon for his service to the Canucks rather than burning a year of a career that only has a few productive years left in it.