Thread: Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Islanders (Jan-27)
View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I see no reason to go with Montoya. Pavs is just beginning to find his game (and his confidence) and it's still early in the year. You sit him when you see him get tired or struggle - neither is the case right now. It has nothing to do with getting your backup the starts.

I'm really impressed with the way Noel has the team playing. They seem more confident and creative with the puck than they ever were last year - Little's setup of Ladd last night, Kane's newfound playmaking ability - and their defensive coverage is certainly less "scrambly". This game will be a big test though to see if they play down to the opposition or repeat their effort from last night against the Pens. Call me an optimist but I see them blowing the Isles out, 5-1.
This is the catch 22 and something that I am sure is paining Noel. Is Pavelec tired? (He has played 4 games this week). Will Montoya step up against his old team? At some point you have to get your backup some game action or you are pretty much damning yourself to start one guy all year, and then you end up with a burnt out goalie heading into the playoffs. As much as you want to keep Pavelec on a roll, you need to allow Montoya the opportunity to play, feel a part of the team and get some in game shots. If we just roll with Pavs and heaven forbid he gets hurt, we could have shot ourselves in the foot.

I think you go with Montoya. The guys will want to help him beat his old team, you can count on that.