View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 03:18 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You can't really put a blanket over everything and say "this is the system that will make them unstoppable". Every matchup is different and your system needs to be dynamic enough to adjust on the fly, from period to period, series to series. When I can start recognizing breakouts and where each player will be going, so does the other team.

DB just has trouble counter punching and it is a little frustrating to watch. He also doesn't do well with line matching and prefers to go strength on strength, which I don't agree with. You have to exploit matchups, especially in the playoffs.

As for '09, the Pens beat the Wings because they countered the hybrid LWL the Wings employed with a chip and chase game. Watch game 7 and you will see it executed to perfection. The Wings system feasted off turnovers and quick transition. The Pens didn't mess around going E-W... All pucks beyond the red line were dumped mostly cross corner with two fwds hitting the blueline with speed. F1 and f2 were aggressive in cutting off all outlets and banging around the Wings blueliners.

This was the perfect system agt. the Wings because they were not an overly physical team. There is no guarantee it would work agt every team, because it can be countered with quick outlets and leave your fwds trapped.

The Wings did in fact counter the forecheck and that is why it was a seven game series decided by one goal. The Wings, especially Stuart, just made the big mistakes that cost them.

There is no fool proof system and all of them can be countered with disciplined play and on the fly adjustments. That's why you need talented players to step up in the playoffs and force teams into mistakes.
Thanks, Jiggy.

Reading your answer, I know that I worded my question poorly. What I was looking at, I suppose, what the idea of mixing up and adjusting breakouts, defensive coverages, etc depending upon situation.

I wonder if Sid and Geno sit there, being asked to do the same **** over and over again and knowing it's not working when other teams adjust, try to make 'something' happen, and then that doesn't work, and whether that factors into the skittish play we see sometimes from them.

This just looks so much like Therrien four years ago. Different coaching style, different system, different cliche 'try harder, do more' versus 'get to our game', but the same old case of a coach unable or unwilling to see the consequences for his team when the other team game plans specifically for the Pens or when they make aggressive in game adjustments.

EDIT: Comment on the matchups. Did you read Dave King's book? There was a blurb in there about how in Russia teams would go strength on strength and he didn't get it. He wrote about a time when he told Geno to stay on the bench, even though it was 'his turn', because then he was going to get him right out there against the fourth line. When you have Sid AND Geno, there's no way you shouldn't be getting regular matchups to exploit, especially at home but even on the road.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote