View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
BraveCanadian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
and honestly, that was the difference between mario and gretzky. both obviously made their teammates better, and i doubt jagr is as great as he is without watching mario close up as a teenager and learning from him, but on the other hand, mario didn't relentlessly try to better himself. the talent was there, and i'm not saying he was lazy, but he didn't have the drive to maximize himself because, come on, he was already so far ahead of everyone else.
I agree with you early on in Mario's career but after he was exposed to Gretzky in the 87 Canada Cup he did change somewhat.

You have to keep in mind that his back was in such bad shape at times that he didn't practice and couldn't tie his own skates.

That really limits how hard you can work.

Partly that is on him for having such bad habits early on, but by the time his work ethic changed the damage was done. Lemieux also worked quite hard for his last comeback.

Also, Jagr definitely learned a lot from Lemieux and has admitted as much more than once. One of the things he said he learned was the drive to be the best.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote