Nucks future 1C??

vCash: 500
Bernie Geoffrion, RW

Position: Right Wing
HT/WT: 5'9", 170 lbs
Handedness: Right
Nickname(s): "Boom Boom"
Born: February 13th, 1931 in Montreal, QC

- Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1972.
- 6-time Stanley Cup Champion - (1953, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960)
- 9-time top-10 in All-Star RW Voting (1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7)
- 2-time Art Ross Trophy recipient - (1955, 1961)
- 1-time Hart Memorial Trophy recipient - (1961)
- 1 acknowledgement for the First NHL All-Star Team - (1961)
- 2 acknowledgements for the Second NHL All-Star Team - (1955, 1960)
- ranked number 42 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- scored 393 goals and 429 assists for 822 points in 883 games, adding 689 penalty minutes.
- scored 58 goals and 60 assists for 118 points in 132 playoff games, adding 88 penalty minutes.

Top 10 Finishes:
Goals - 8x - (1, 1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 8, 9)
Assists - 5x - (6, 6, 6, 7, 10)
Points - 7x - (1, 1, 4, 6, 6, 7, 7)

Game-Winning Goals - 1x - (1)

10 Best Percentage Seasons (Vs. #2):
100, 100, 88, 81, 79, 78, 73, 70, 63, 53

Voting Record

Hart Voting Record:

1st (60-61), 7th (54-55), 12th (66-67), 13th (58-59), 13th (59-60)

Top-10 Playoff Goalscorer of the 1950's
PlayersGPG
Bernard Geoffrion9851
Maurice Richard8448
Ted Lindsay7734
Jean Beliveau5531
Gordie Howe6327
Dickie Moore8725
Floyd Curry8923
Alex Delvecchio5621
Fleming Mackell7120
Jerry Toppazzini4013

Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrion, himself
I was a natural as a stick-handler, I was a natural as a shooter, I could put the puck in the net, that's something I had as a talent. A lot of people are great hockey players but they cannot find the net. I could find the net every angle, I want to be humble when I say that. But I always did have confidence when somebody would score two goals, I would say to myself I'm gonna get three. I had to be not better, but I wanted to prove the public, my organization, my teammates that I can play this game of hockey, and you know what I think I did.
Quote:
I couldn't deliberately not score, that isn't the point of hockey, Montreal
Greatest Hockey Legends

Quote:
With Maurice Richard headlining a who's who of hockey, the Montreal Canadiens had an outstanding power play for years. But when Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion perfected his slap shot from the point, the NHL was forced to take action. With Richard, Jean Beliveau and Dickie Moore up front and Doug Harvey and Geoffrion on the points, the Canadiens often scored two or even three goals during a single minor penalty, so the rules were changed to allow the penalized player back on the ice after a power play goal was scored.

It was "Boom Boom's" dynamic shot that became his trademark. He perfected the now-common slap shot. Firing little discs of frozen rubber at speeds upwards of 100 mph put fear into the hearts of enemy goaltenders as never seen before.
Quote:
Geoffrion was more than just a heavy shooter. His all-out style of play and unquenchable desire to win enabled him to win the Calder Trophy in 1952 and the Hart Trophy in 1961. He led the league in scoring twice and was name to the First All Star Team in 1961 and the Second in 1955 and 1960. The fact that he made three post-season All Star teams is actually quite amazing. Geoffrion was a right winger in the same era as Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe.
ourhistory.canadiens.ca

Quote:
The number five holds a special place in the hearts of Montreal Canadiens fans who remember the late 1950s for two reasons: the number of consecutive Stanley Cup Championships and the flamboyant right winger with the thunderous shot who wore it on his back.

Drive and desire were the key elements of Geoffrion’s game. He played with his heart on his sleeve and thrived on pressure, coming up with highlight performances when the stakes were at their highest. Throwing caution to the wind, he played an “all-out, all the time” game, the only way he knew how.

While his legend was built around his nose for the net and his booming slap shot, Geoffrion was also a skilled passer and playmaker, usually picking up at least as many - if not more - assists as goals.
Legends of Hockey

Quote:
Bernie Geoffrion, nicknamed "Boom Boom," gained NHL fame for his hard shot and feisty temperament. Born and raised in Montreal, he played right wing for the Montreal Canadiens' dynasty teams in the 1950s and 1960s alongside Maurice "Rocket" Richard and Jean Beliveau. The powerful combination brought the Stanley Cup home to Montreal an amazing six times during Geoffrion's time there, and he also won the league scoring title twice and the Hart Trophy in 1961.

Many claim Geoffrion invented and perfected the slapshot - not bad for a kid who was once told by the assistant coach of a junior hockey team that he'd never make it in big-time hockey.

Although he and the Rocket were teammates, they were also rivals. In 1955 Richard seemed to have the league scoring title clinched, but he was suspended by NHL president Clarence Campbell for hitting a referee. Fans begged Geoffrion to cut down his scoring so Richard could win the title, but Boom Boom ignored them. And when he beat the Rocket for the title by a single point on the final day of the year, the crowd in the Montreal Forum booed him. But by 1961 it seemed Montreal fans had forgiven him - they gave him a ten-minute standing ovation at the Forum when he scored his 50th goal of the season. Geoffrion became only the second NHL player to hit the 50-goal mark after his teammate Rocket Richard.
Montreal Gazette, Jun. 27th, 1966

Quote:
The New York Rangers gave their blushing powerplay a $30,000 facelifting yesterday with the signing of Bernie Geoffrion, one of the NHL's greatest scoring opportunists.

Last edited by Velociraptor: 03-03-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote