Old
01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Because statistically, and according to those who had watched both at the time, Hovinen was more of a long shot/project than Eriksson.
Those on HFBoards who watched him or have a blog? Big deal. The Flyers didn't think so. The Oilers claimed Hovinen while Eriksson remains unsigned. I guess they screwed the pooch here too. Maybe you should link the Oilers GM to Eriksson's HockeryDB page?

Quote:
Surely, no other quality players have ever been overlooked by 29 other NHL teams. Surely, the Flyers have never made a mistake with goalies.
I never said that. What I said is that right now, you are basing your "mistake" argument on nothing. There is absolutely no evidence that a mistake was made. Ericksson is unsigned. He is not playing in the NHL or under control of any NHL organization. If the Flyers want to sign him, they can. Where is the mistake? What was wrong about the decision to continuously not sign Eriksson? Where is the negative?

Quote:
Perhaps because it's far harder to break into the world of goaltending. There are far, far fewer spots for goalies than skaters. Most teams have their spots filled. Lots of those spots are filled with guys with more experience in NA hockey and don't require adjustment time. Maybe the teams that need more goaltending now, can't afford to waste time developing a prospect, and those content with their prospects don't feel the need to use a contract slot on one more...especially since those guys will all be fighting for ice time in their system. Even in the world of backup goalies, most teams will prefer someone washed up with established NA experience than someone fresh out of Europe but with more potential.
Interesting take. I have never heard this argument before. No time to develop a prospect? Weird.

Quote:
Answer me this: if your goalie cupboard is pretty much empty, does it make sense to go with the guy generally recognized as being more established and who has the better overall chance of success? Or does it make more sense to go with someone with less chance of success and a spotty record?
It certainly makes sense to go with the better goalie. The Flyers didn't think Eriksson was that. You do. Based on nothing.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote