View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
There is no reason to look to move KO at this point. His game is sound and he does not look lost as some have said. The one thing that I think he needs to work on is his conditioning. I am not sure what he did in the extended off-season, playing or working out, but it is clear that he gets winded more than almost any other player on the ice. That may be a combination of poor conditioning and trying to do too much on each shift, but if you look at him versus JT after each shift, KO looks like he is going to collapse while JT looks ready for his next shift.
Bingo. Kyle averages about 1 minute of ice time per shift, and only the best players who are well conditioned tend to play well after 40 seconds:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/...h-shift-length

I hope he can start taking shorter shifts once Joensuu and Bailey return, because consistently taking 60+ second shifts is a big problem for his game. You especially saw it in the third period last night vs. the Bruins. I was there, Loge12, Row 7, Seat 10 (literally, center ice, 5 rows behind the sin bin). He was buzzing the first two periods and was getting a lot of jam along the boards against players like Chara who I expected to knock him off the puck. But he was battling, and probably our best player along the boards the whole game. But his overall play faded in the third, as did our other players, especially after the back-to-back with Toronto. But we also let Toronto back into the game in the third.

The combination of better conditioning and shorter shifts will really boost his game. It will be interesting to track how well he does there as the game/season goes on.

I partially place the blame on Capuano, and partially place it on Tavares, and partially place it on Snow & Wang & the decrepit Coliseum for not having/attracting depth players that would allow us more balanced line rolling.

Last edited by Brain Hemorrhage: 01-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote