View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Something like Couturier and a 1st is probably acceptable, but in the context of a doomsday scenario where the Habs actually do have to trade Subban and I'd still be very disappointed if it came to that. I wouldn't do that deal for a signed Subban in a happier world. Couturier is of course very good, and may well one day be as good as Subban, but it's still not a deal that helps *BUILD* the Habs. It just swaps a great young asset we need desperately for another good-and-eventually-hopefully-great young asset, but doesn't leave us ahead in the long run. Normally you want to find a way to move ahead with your trades, or deal from strengths to address weaknesses. Defense is definitely not a position of strength for the Habs, even if big good young centers is a position of weakness.
My issues with Couturier is he does not fill any particular need and necessitates moving Plekanec merely to slot into the roster. Furthermore, it maintains the inept status quo that has plagued Montreal management for the better part of the best two decades. Subban would not be traded to improve the team but to facilitate the egos of regime's dated philosophies. Perhaps, what makes it worse is Montreal's abysmal trade record. I have my doubts Philly would include Couturier.