View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 08:05 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I promise I'm not just blowing smoke, I've watched a dozen of Barkov's games. He is below average in skating, although he is improving, but he also is below average in quickness, which I think is the bigger issue. Like Thornton (one of my favorite players), he can get it going when he's given time and space to accelerate. But he lacks quickness or explosiveness. I'm not saying it's a good reason for why he's not ranked higher than Mackinnon or Drouin, but it is the reason.
I think that you have good view on his game. But MacKinnon or Drouin never will be as big or strong. I know that MacKinnon is actually physically pretty mature but Barkov will have Jagr, ovechkin & Thornton like size. Barkov never needs elite speed. Above average is more than good enough for his size and talent. I think that he has chance to be good to great skater when fully developed. Not elite but tier below. Barkov is positioning himself very well. It's not coincident that he is always middle of the plays in the offensive and in the defensive zone.