View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I'd say Larsen has been the Stars 2nd best dman this year behind Daley.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Regarding a potential new coach, I think they'd go outside of the organization.

IDK how many people agree about this, but I think Willie is making a damn good case for himself if they hired from within. I know most people don't agree with how Austin Smith was handled, but Willie, while not entirely his own doing, has one of the Top PP's in the AHL, the best team in the AHL, and several players making huge strides (Eakin, R. Smith, Chiasson, Oleksiak, etc). Those players deserve most of the credit though for their progress, but after last season you can see how a coach can have negative impact on development. Last year was essentially a lost season with the exception of Fraser and Dillon.
There's a big point to be made here. A lot of times, players already have what it takes to succeed within them, they simply need the proper care. An organization's job is to spot talent that they can draft or sign as undrafted players later, then give those players the best environment to continue to progress. They shouldn't be trying to make a good player, they should have identified a good player who needs time, experience, and a pointer here or there.

This also goes for the NHL level, where young players must be given opportunities to fail, so long as you really believe in their longterm potential. If it weren't for the change of GM's from Armstrong to Jackson years ago we very well may never have seen the Loui Eriksson we currently do. Until Jackson gave Tippett the directive to play Eriksson and Grossman even though they will definitely make mistakes, Eriksson was being treated like Larsen has been through his entire time in the NHL.