Thread: Prospect Info: Official Penguins Prospects Thread
View Single Post
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM
HFBoards Sponsor
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Eaton with an assist on the PP tonight. I'm glad to see he's back but not at the expense of Morrow's PP time. Does anybody know which PP Morrow plays on and where he stands on the depth chart currently in WBS ?

If you look at the +/- tab on the boxscore next to the goal, it will show you what players were on the ice (on the AHL site, and on some of the junior sites, as well). It showed 3 Dmen on the one goal: Samuelsson, Dumoulin and Eaton.

That is certainly a curious mix to be sure, and perhaps it was during an odd line change, or perhaps they were utilizing a bigger body (i.e. Samuelsson or Dumoulin) as a net-front guy.

Anyway, we can, if we want, be disappointed that Morrow isn't getting all the PP time; but I'm going to try to look at the brighter side of the equation. We all know that Morrow should be a really good player for us eventually, although it may take a bit longer for him to develop than some here expected (I thought he would see a full 2 or 3 seasons in the AHL before seriously challenging for a job anyway).

But what is the other part of the story here is the potential re-emergence of Philip Samuelsson as a top prospect for this hockey club. When watching Philip in last summer's prospect camp, and then the full training camp, I thought this was a guy who looked like more of a fringe prospect who would never really have a future with this team. So while that still might be the case, it now appears that there's also a chance that Samuelsson could be back in the conversation as not only a guy with NHL upside, but perhaps even one of our better Dmen prospects. Here's to hoping that is a trend that continues. (and I don't mind guys like Morrow or Dumoulin having to fight a little harder for playing time. I think they have the character to benefit from that kind of situation).