Thread: Realignment
View Single Post
Old
01-26-2013, 11:52 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

vCash: 500
I really hope the plan they tanked last year doesn't come back. The Florida teams in the NE was so stupid.

Here was my proposal:

My vision:

PRINCE OF WALES CONFERENCE (Eastern)

ADAMS DIVISION (Northeast)

Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils

PATRICK DIVISION (Atlantic)

Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Florida Panthers

CLARENCE CAMPBELL CONFERENCE (Western)

NORRIS DIVISION (Central)

Winnipeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Nashville Predators
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche

SMYTHE DIVISION (West)

Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Vancouver Canucks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Anaheim Ducks
Phoenix Coyotes

There's bound to be some unhappiness here, especially by splitting the Rangers/Devils away from the Flyers/Penguins. Unfortunately, there's no real way around it. It's mitigated somewhat by putting Detroit into the Patrick Division, along with Washington.

***Alternatively, you could keep the NYR/NYI/NJD in the Patrick, and put DET/CBJ/WAS ino the Adams.

Same frustrations in pulling Detroit out of the current Central. You lose that rivalry with the Blackhawks. But it gets all Eastern Time Zone teams to the Eastern Conference, and the Blackhawks should gain some good games with the Wild/Avalanche/Jets. Over time these will work out nicely.

------------------------------------------------------

The schedule will work as follows...

Each Wales Conference Team plays their own division opponents 4 times, two home, and two away.

7 X 4 = 28 Games

Each Wales Conference Team plays their other Conference division opponents 3 times, alternating home ice each year.

8 x 3 = 24 Games

Each Wales Conference Team plays each Campbell Conference team twice, one home, one away.

14 x 2 = 28 Games

This is an 80 game schedule.

Each Campbell Conference Team plays their own division opponents 4 times, two home, and two away.

6 X 4 = 24 Games

Each Campbell Conference Team plays their other Conference division opponents 3 times alternating home ice each year.

7 x 3 = 21 Games

Each Campbell Conference Team plays each Wales Conference Team twice, one home, one away.

16 x 2 = 32 Games

This is a 77 game schedule.

You'll notice the Western teams only have a 77 game schedule. This is tough. The easiest way I've found to make it work is those last 3 games are played within the division, with a 4 year rotation. For example,

In Year 1, VAN plays an extra divisional game against SJ, @LA, and @ANA.
In Year 2, VAN plays an extra divisional game against EDM, CGY, and @PHX.
In Year 3, VAN plays an extra divisional game against @SJ, LA, and ANA.
In Year 4, VAN plays an extra divisional game against @EDM, @CGY, and PHX.

This way, every 4 years, you get an extra two games against each division opponent, one home, one away.

------------------------------------------------------

Playoff seeding works thusly:

16 team playoff, same as now. 8 teams from each Conference. Top 2 teams in each Division get guaranteed Playoff Berths. The remaining 4 spots in each Conference are the teams with the highest points.

Yes, this means, in theory, the Western teams have a slightly better chance to get into the playoffs, as the last 4 playoff spots are pulled from 10 teams instead of 12. While East Coast teams may view this as unfair, there is a reasoning behind it. Western teams each have to play 3 extra divisional games, and Western teams also have to travel more. These are slight disadvantages, which, in my opinion, equal out the slight advantage in regards to Playoff Berths.

Seeding, and home ice is based on points, nothing else. If the Bruins are 2nd in the Adams Division with 91 points, they are guaranteed a spot. But if they're 5th in points behind Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, and Detroit, tough luck. They're a 5 seed, and don't have home ice advantage.

As the NHL does now, teams are reseeded after each round.

To determine Home Ice for the Stanley Cup Final, we look at which team has a better winning percentage against the other conference.

Thoughts? Opinions? I haven't exactly gone in and worked out a specific schedule. I would imagine it could get a little complicated, especially out West, making sure teams get 40 home and 40 road games a year. But still, I think it's pretty good.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote