View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Alright, admittedly, I was a little irritated last night. And heavy with booze.

That said, after re-watching some clips of the game and enjoying Hockey Night, I believe I have some simple solutions to solve our issues.

- In terms of personnel, waive Lovejoy, and trade Despres for a better defensive prospect. Despres is not intelligent or hard-working enough to crack a top-4 on a contending, barring a major adjustment in mentality. Lovejoy speaks for himself. I'd rather have an AHL journeyman than this guy.

- In terms of system, switch to zone defense. Man-to-man works for some teams. For this team, it will not work. The only time where the players on the ice are cohesive as a unit is on the penalty kill. And we know how spectacular our penalty kill is. Have the defensemen work as a pair and limit opportunities from dangerous areas.

- In terms of breakouts, bring the forwards back to our half of the ice! I honestly believe (with perhaps the exception of Sutter) that our forward corps is the laziest group of backcheckers in the league. We almost never leave our zone as a unit. Stop the stretch passes when they are ill-advised. The center should be inside our blueline, and one winger should be right outside to assist as well. The only time I see the forwards assist in backchecking is after problems arise. Standing at the opposing blue-line waiting for a miracle outlet pass is not intelligent hockey.

Simple as 1-2-3.
They have been playing zone defense since 2010.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote