View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 07:02 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I see your concern Colt and it is a good point. Lets not forget we were without Horton in the Washington series. I don't think size for size's sake is the way to go though. I think you need quality size. Chara, Lucic, Horton, Thornton, Boychuk, McQuaid and now Dougie give us some pretty big bodies who can play the game or deliver an important role. Other teams have size but they either aren't that talented or they don't play with an edge (Max P and Eric Cole in mtl neither guy is striking fear into anyone anytime soon).

The Bruins over the last few years have emphasized strength and muscularity (that is to say the weightroom stays busy according to Pierre McGuire) and as a result mid-sized and smaller players like Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Ference and Seidenberg have maxed out their frames with muscle. They also bring the right attitude to the game that allows them to use their strength.

This team is loaded with tenacity. Guys like Marchand, Paille, Campbell, Ference and Seidenberg play alot bigger then they are which is why other teams are intimidated by a team that looks bigger than it actually is. It isin't any blowfish phenomenon either these guys might not be giants but they will smack you in the mouth. I think the main thing is that Chia and co go after players with a certain mental makeup that breeds physical play. I don't see Chia and Neely's strategy changing anytime soon.
To add to your point they were also without McQuaid and after Bergeron's injury which left him a shadow of himself it made made puck possession that much tougher.

The Bruin's are built on a sizable (weight and height) and extremely tough defense:
Quaider - 6'5 219lbs - Big, tough, mean and will throw down with anybody.
Boychuk - 6'2 225lbs - Big, tough, mean and will throw down.
Seids - 6'1 216lbs - Big, tough, mean and has thrown down when needed.
Chara - 6'9 255lbs - Big, big. big, really big and tough and mean and will fight anybody.
Hamilton - 6'5 193lbs - He's going to get even bigger! Big, not overly tough but he doesn't shy away from contact. Will throw the body around.
Ference - 5'11 189lbs - Mighty mouse compared to the rest of the D the B's have. Still one of the bigger hitters on the team, he's tough and has shown he is willing to drop with nearly anybody.

I can see why other teams in our division feel the need to get bigger on both ends of the rink.

As for our forwards group, I agree the B's need an upgrade on 3rd line LW but I'm not sold that it has to be someone with size. It just needs to be a hard nosed player that plays big and will go to the dirty areas of the ice. This player also needs some finish because both Pevs and Kelly are good playmakers. As much as it pains me to say it this team misses Michael Ryder and needs a tougher, better skating version of him.

Where's Jared Knight when you need him?

I wouldn't mind seeing Sauve given a look with the big club. But that's if he stays healthy.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote