Thread: Washed up...
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 09:28 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Cap room is there. The willingness of a bone fide elite forward to put his John Hancock on the dotted line is another. The ability and willingness to spend money is there. The money was offered to Suter and Parise and they both went to Minnesota. I think a lot of people are underestimating the arrival of Bret Wilson to the organization. The guy is one, Canadian and two, has deep pockets. When Weber was offer sheeted, he was the one to come out and say, we've got the money, he's being re-signed. My gut feeling tells me in time that his shares of ownership go up as the others slowly start to dissipate. I would gander that he could be the majority owner within the next 5 years, all the while, more and more money is put towards the players.

The other thing is, if we're as poor offensively as everyone thinks we are around here, what team in their right mind would trade a top 3 for one of our 3rd liners and prospects? Doesn't make sense really. The only real chip we have at this point that could net us anything in return is Josi and he's not going anywhere so who do we trade to get a potential game breaker? And this team was ranked 8th last in scoring so I don't see that as our issue. I think getting some of these guys is the issue more than anything. We had stretches like this last year too and we all *****ed and moaned about it. They'll get there. We came out with a solid effort against a good Anaheim team on the road. Guess, what, they've got 4 game breakers and they had to beat us in a shootout. Game breakers don't mean guaranteed success, balance on a roster does.

I'm not saying we couldn't use a game breaker or two but I don't think getting one game breaker changes the dynamic of this team that much. Other guys would still need to step up. Teams cover Weber at the point because of his dynamic shot. Other guys like Josi and Ellis need to produce, especially on the PP to keep teams honest. So if we landed a game breaker, teams would be all over them and other guys would need to still pull their weight.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote