View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
MNWILDFAN001

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
I don't like what I am about to type but it's time to take off my homer glasses regarding Koivu. We have been crying for top wingers to play with Koivu for awhile and now that we have one it's brought something to light. So far it has made him no better offensively and he is hurting this team in a 1C role. He is trying to pass to Parise every time he gets the puck and he rarely shoots or drives the net anymore. They are on different pages offensively. He makes mediocre players around him better but he can't make elite talent better because they think of the game on a higher level than him offensively. Koivu is one of the best 2C's in the game but he cares too much for defense to be used as a 1C. Switch him with Granlund who is more offensive minded and has elite hockey IQ. Parise is on an island out there trying to generate offense. Koivu is lost watching Parise and Heater is too slow to be used anywhere else but on the PP. Heater can't forecheck so 2W/3W is where he belongs. Koivu on the second line will make our non performing players better and makes our team better. Something like Parise-Granlund-Bouchard, Seto-Koviu-Heater, Cullen-Brodz-Clutter. Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

Spread the Koivu. Team success won't be achieved if the opponent only has to focus on the top line to win.

Edit: This all coming from a guy who has always argued Koivu being a 1C

It just took Parise to help me understand he wasn't
I agree with all of this. I've always had my doubts about Koivu, which made me not very pleased with the new contract he signed. And it's not just his hockey IQ, it's his speed. I've wanted more speed for our top 6 awhile now. Having speed just makes a player even more dangerous. Back when we had Gaborik and Demitra(RIP) as wingers was great. If the opposing defense weren't careful those two could sneak by them and they weren't going to be caught. Don't really have to worry about that with Koivu, or Heater.