Thread: Proposal: Wild-Pens
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 11:15 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wild GM Fletcher likes to make 1-for-1 trades much of the time, especially when salary is close. See Havlat for Heatley, Schultz for Gilbert, etc.

Looking at Pittsburgh's defense, the obvious name is Niskanen. Russo mentions Despres and it looks like there was a rumor Despres could be on the move.

Could a Pens fan give a bit of a scouting report on both players?

Here's mine on Seto:

Great shot and fast north-south speed. Below average hands and offensive instincts. When fed passes, can bury the puck, but does not create his own scoring chances. Scored quite a bit with Thornton so would probably do great with Crosby or Malkin. Has been playing a more physical "grinder" type game this year so can move up or down the lineup.

Now, my reservations would be:

- Wild have a lot of young defensemen with questionable upside. Falk, Prosser, and Scandella. We would likely have to waive or trade one of them.

- Wild are at 50 contracts now, so can't take on additional NHL players.

- Pens are close to the cap, so Niskanen would make more sense than Despres from that standpoint.
Niskanen is a great complementary player. Has really turned his game around in Pittsburgh without being relied upon to carry a D-corps. Makes very good decisions in his own zone. Will battle along the boards, takes hits to make plays. Good puck mover. Capable of playing 1st unit PP. Don't see us moving him with how good he's looked with Letang. We'd want a proven top line player back.

Despres is still developing, but is absolutely NHL ready. Big guy. Excellent skater. Still learning not to overdo it in his own zone, much like how Letang was a few years back. He's a jack of all trades. Isn't elite at anything, but very good in all facets. Most likely a 2nd pairing, 2nd unit PP guy for you.

As for Seto. He's definitely a complementary player. Can't carry a line or regularly produce on his own. But with an elite center, I think he has the instincts to put himself into spots to score alot of goals for us. Has the speed to keep with Sid. And being a RHS, would step right onto our 1st unit PP.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote