Thread: Proposal: Wild-Pens
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 12:23 PM
OCPenguin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wild GM Fletcher likes to make 1-for-1 trades much of the time, especially when salary is close. See Havlat for Heatley, Schultz for Gilbert, etc.

Looking at Pittsburgh's defense, the obvious name is Niskanen. Russo mentions Despres and it looks like there was a rumor Despres could be on the move.

Could a Pens fan give a bit of a scouting report on both players?

Here's mine on Seto:

Great shot and fast north-south speed. Below average hands and offensive instincts. When fed passes, can bury the puck, but does not create his own scoring chances. Scored quite a bit with Thornton so would probably do great with Crosby or Malkin. Has been playing a more physical "grinder" type game this year so can move up or down the lineup.

Now, my reservations would be:

- Wild have a lot of young defensemen with questionable upside. Falk, Prosser, and Scandella. We would likely have to waive or trade one of them.

- Wild are at 50 contracts now, so can't take on additional NHL players.

- Pens are close to the cap, so Niskanen would make more sense than Despres from that standpoint.
Pens are close to the cap? Nope. Check capgeek.com. Minnesota is closer to being capped out. We have room for a pretty decent salary.

Below average hands with declining goal and point totals. That is the reservation. He just didn't decline in Minnesota. He started to declined the year after his 30-goal season.

It would be ******** for Pittsburgh to deal one of its starting six blueliners - Niskanen - one of our best and Despres, a kid with HIGH upside, for Setogucchi. I think this would be a terrible trade for Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh fans who are for this are envisioning the 30-goal scorer a few years back from San Jose. He isn't that anymore.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote