View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Offer sheets are a waste of time - they either get accepted by the team holding the rights immediately, or you have to offer SO MUCH that its an insane overpayment while giving up picks. I think if offer sheets actually worked more teams would do it.
At best, I think an offer sheet can work for a team that is on its way up. The values of those picks is obviously diminishing. I don't think it's a controversial assertion that the Wings are on their way down the standings. Because of that, those picks have a ton of value, and the offer sheet is relatively much more expensive of an option. It's not a smart move at this point from an asset value standpoint.

The other thing is that in order to get a player to sign, you have to outbid his current team. However, if that players were willing to sign any kind of reasonable contract, they probably would have signed with their current team (see: Subban, O'Reilly). This means that you have to offer an outrageous contract, give up a bunch of picks, and ultimately have that player take up a very large portion of your cap (and real dollar) space.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote