View Single Post
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I've seen tons of in-game benchings for vets over the years in this league. So hopefully no one in this thread is suggesting it doesn't happen because that is just ridiculous.

I can almost guarantee you that if Cooke had that many mistakes playing in one and half periods playing for the Blues, he would of been at the far end of the bench for the rest of the second period. Twice in the first period alone Cooke was skating towards his zone with the puck and blindly threw it to the middle, with no Jet even pressuring him. He had his back to the perceived pressure, and still threw it to the middle... That is as bad as Kunitz trying to regroup in his own zone by heading to the middle of the ice on his backhand.

These are mental mistakes that are not being forced and players who are multiple offenders (Cooke, Kunitz, Engo) have to be held accountable. A coach like Hitch is hard on young guys and has his own faults, but he makes his vets accountable as well.

There is no reason Sutter couldn't take a couple of shifts from Kunitz and Vitale for Cooke, etc. etc.

This way you reward guys who are playing the system with more ice time and send a message to your vets that mental mistakes and lack of discipline, see retaliatory penalties, won't be tolerated. We saw this garbage last year and it's time DB puts his foot down before these bad habits work their way back in.
Couldn't agree more.

And, frankly, I'd add Malkin to that list. Then again, I've always been of the opinion that he needs to be defensively responsible first and his entire game flows from that. Bylsma, IMO, thinks his usefulness begins and ends with scoring goals. It's why he plays less when the Pens are winning a game and why he plays more when they're behind, even if he played a hand in that.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote