View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
This is a fun discussion.

Can we start over from a different angle??

Let's say Phoenix moves to Quebec. Now what? If you try to keep 6 divisions, how do you do the west?

Pac: Van, SJ, LA, Ana and ???
NW or Mountain: Cal, Edm, Col(unless Col goes to the Pac), ???, ??? Big problem here. Colorado likely has to fill the Pacific. Now you need 3 teams here. Winnipeg and Minnesota are easy choices. Who is next???
Central: Assuming Winn and Minn are in the Mountain. Chi, StL, Nash, Dal, ???, ??? I put 2 ??? because one of these guys has to fill the Mountain Division.

This seems a big conundrum, at least to me. I think the east would go easily. Although, if Detroit isn't in Central, then it's a big fight there, too.

So, long term, it seems if PHX goes to QUE, then the 6 division arrangement has problems.

If PHX stays, or moves to SEA, it's easier, but you still end up with the same set of fights that the BoG went through last year. No consensus.

We can hypothesize all day, but it's not an easy answer.

So, in a way, I think the league is waiting on PHX to really ask this question.

Any one else think that, too?
One really big hurdle is that in reality the NHL needs to cut the Atlantic division in half, but they won't. They don't want to separate Pittsburgh and Philly from the three NY teams. Really, a four conference/division setup should look like this:

Division A: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Toronto

Division B: Carolina, Columbus, Florida, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Division C: Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Division D: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Their would still be an eastern conference and western conference. The 1 and 2 seeds would be the division winners, seeds 3-8 would go by points. Personally I still prefer the current format with six divisions and a little bit of shuffling, but if they absolutely had to go to four divisions, I think this one makes the most sense.