View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 12:25 PM
lamp9post

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I had a different angle at the same phenomenon. Let's say a team that has money but not a lot of cap space wants to make a playoff run this year. They might want Kaberle to help their PP at the trade deadline. He won't cost much on the cap this year, and if that team does not have anyone they want to buyout already they can always use a compliance buyout to flush his cap hit for next season if he disappoints.

This increases our ability to move him at the deadline, and gives us a chance to use our second buyout on a different player, such as Bourque or even Gionta if he collapses this year and is no longer in our plans (though I doubt that happens seeing his good start this year).
Yes, it certainly would allow trade deadline buyers to more easily pick up players that don't have expiring contracts. That, and the ability to retain salary.

I think if there was any way to move a player it would be preferable to using the compliance buyout even if it means retaining salary. It would be nice to have it at our disposal next summer if Bourque falls off the map or if it could be used to facilitate a trade.

lamp9post is offline   Reply With Quote