View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Even though a part of me is beginning to say "hey, if Jones is a franchise D-man go for him if given a chance", after watching Kane and Toews last night the need for first line offensive talent equal to their's is so critical that unless we pick 7th and all the top O's are gone, I think it has to be the BOPA.

You can make an argument that Joey and CAM are 1st line guys but I don't see them in the class of Kane, Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. Think how good this team could be if Joey and CAM anchored the 2nd line? That is probably a pipe dream but it is a pleasant dream.
Thing is, Seth Jones is such a great player, he will provide offense as well. He won't be an Erik Karlsson type player, but Shea Weber comes to mind when I watch him play. And I think he's a better skater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Exactly. Also its not a pipe dream it is how good teams are built. look at the best teams across the league:

Penguins: Malkin/Crosby/Neal
Chicago: Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa
San Jose: Thorton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski

Teams are built on being good in all phases. The "defense wins championships" maxim is all well and good, but first you need to score. Besides I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who wouldn't mind a bit of fire wagon hockey.
Those teams aren't exactly bums on defense either though

Penguins: Letang, Martin, Orpik
Chicago: Keith, Seabrook
San Jose: Boyle, Burns, Stuart, Vlasic

It isn't just about defense anymore, but it also cannot be overlooked.