View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Honestly, I don't see the fact that Peoria is a small town being much of a problem for young hockey players from other countries. Peoria is very close to Chicago. The things Chicago has that Peoria doesn't aren't wanted by 20 year olds every day. The few things they'd miss they can get in their afternoons off by commuting for one extra half hour each way. That doesn't sound to me like a big problem.

If I were moving to Russia to further my hockey career, my decision to go there or not, or my happiness once there wouldn't be shattered by being 30 or 45 minutes from the centre of St. Petersburg rather than dwelling in its midst. I think we are blowing this idea out of proportion. If I were a young undrafted hockey player (which I once was), I wouldn't base my decision on which NHL team with which to sign, on how large and cosmopolitan their AHL affiliate city is. I'd base it on how much money and contract incentives they offer, and what chances I had in their system, to move up to The NHL level (based on their current rosters at all levels). Chances are that all 30 NHL teams wouldn't offer EXACTLY the same money, perks and chances to fill an NHL spot within 2-4 years, to make the differences in size of their AHL affiliates worth anything in such a decision.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote