View Single Post
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
The Gloaming
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I doubt Bettman's personal feelings had anything to do with it. The deals like Luongo provide a huge benefit to teams who spend to the cap so much so that they had to penalize all deals in the new CBA.

Even now if Luongo's play falls off (and for whatever reason he's waived and decides to play in the AHL) a cap floor team can easily trade for him and pay him 1M-3M and carry a 5.3M caphit and save the owner money.

To say that Luongo's value had dramatically dropped the same would have to be said for a player like Hossa.
Has any team during the salary cap era traded for a low salary/high cap hit contract like you described?

I mean, look, I realize it's possible what you propose, but that would likely be a very painful trade. Sending a good prospect or something alike along with Luongo/bad contract to facilitate the trade.

Trading for any of these cap circumventing contracts is a huge risk/reward situation. If the player plays well and then gets an injury that allows the contract to get LTIR'd then it's wonderful. If the players play falls off a cliff, you're left holding a very expensive bag that everyone knows you don't want, thus has little value.