View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500

Aurele Joliat !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat
I guess I was tough enough. You had to be to survive. But I wasn't the toughest. That mule-headed, son of a ***** Eddie Shore was the meanest, toughest player I ever met. I was rushing up the ice at the Forum one night when my lights went out. Shore hit me with a check that almost killed me. I was what? 130 pounds at the time and he must have been 190. He dislocated my shoulder and they carried me off in a lot of pain. Then I look around and Shore is leading a fancy rush. Forget the sore shoulder. I leapt over the boards and intercepted the big bugger. Hit him with a flying tackle. Hit him so hard he was out cold on the ice. He had it coming, I'd say!

Awards and Achievements:
3 x Stanley Cup Champion (1924, 1930, 1931)

Hart Trophy Winner (1934)

2 x First Team All-Star (1931, 1934)
Second Team All-Star (1932)
NHL GM-voted Second Team All-Star (1928)

Hart voting – 1st(1934), 5th(1925), 5th(1936)

All-Star voting – 1st(1931), 1st(1934), 2nd(1932), 3rd(1936), 4th(1937)

Offensive Accomplishments:
Points – 2nd(1928), 3rd(1925), 5th(1924), 5th(1926), 6th(1933), 8th(1932), 8th(1934), 9th(1923), 10th(1931), 15th(1937), 19th(1929)
Goals – 2nd(1925), 2nd(1928), 3rd(1934), 5th(1924), 9th(1926), 9th(1933), 10th(1937), 11th(1923), 11th(1936), 13th(1929), 14th(1935), 17th(1932), 18th(1927), 19th(1930)
Assists – 3rd(1926), 5th(1928), 5th(1931), 5th(1932), 6th(1925), 7th(1923), 7th(1933), 10th(1924)

Play-off Points – 2nd(1924), 3rd(1923), 4th(1929)
Play-off Goals – 2nd(1923), 3rd(1924), 6th(1929), 7th(1933), 8th(1927), 9th(1932)
Play-off Assists – 1st(1924), 1st(1931), 3rd(1929), 5th(1937), 6th(1930)

5-Year Peak: 1924-1928
2nd in Points, 88% of 1st place Howie Morenz
2nd in Goals, 85% of 1st place Howie Morenz
2nd in Assists, 95% of 1st place Howie Morenz

10-Year Peak: 1924-1933
2nd in Points, 81% of 1st place Howie Morenz
4th in Goals, 89% of 2nd place Nels Stewart
3rd in Assists, 95% of 2nd place Howie Morenz

Scoring Percentages:
Points – 100(1928), 98(1925), 89(1933), 85(1924), 80(1934), 78(1932), 73(1931), 71(1937), 66(1926), 62(1935), 59(1929), 58(1936), 56(1923), 50(1927), 50(1930)

Best 6 Seasons: 530
Next 6 Seasons: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Stars: today and yesterday
“A good big man will always better a good little man” may be a useful maxim, but it did not apply to the game of hockey when Aurel Joliat was setting the league on fire. At his playing weight of 135 pounds, Joliat set a constant pattern of dizzy pin-wheel turns and spectacular pirouettes on the ice, transporting the world of ballet to the hockey arenas of the thirties. Time and again he would rush at the defence, and then pivot away to leave the rearguards helpless, staggering to regain their balance, as he finished his attack with a brilliant scoring play. This was skating at its dramatic best – tricky hockey which really paid off in victories.

Aurel Joliat may not have had the drive of the heavier Howie Morenz, with whom he played for ten years to make up one of the fastest lines Canadiens have ever had, but this remarkable pair hung up their skates with identical scoring totals of 270 goals to tie for second spot in N.H.L. records – eclipsed only by Nels Stewart’s famed 323. In fact, Morenz and Joliat functioned as a unit. It is impossible to estimate the smaller man’s contribution to the meteoric career of the “Stratford Streak” and it is fitting that their names stand together for posterity in Hockey’s Hall of Fame.

….

St. Pats had a powerful team that year, and their veteran line had little difficulty breaking up the Canadiens’ youthful squad. The only man they couldn’t tag was Mr. Joliat. Like a bolt of electric power the little left-winger whirled about, grabbed the puck at will, then tore down the ice like a cyclone, whipped behind the Toronto net, took a rebound from the boards and shot as he reversed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey's 100
Joliat's forte was stickhandling. He could pass with the best of them and many oldtimers insist that he was similar in style with Gil Perrault.

A ferocious five-feet-six and 135 pounds, Joliat earned the nick-name "Mighty Mite" with his amazingly tough, physical style. A marvelous stickhandler and passer, as well as a lethal shot, Aurele combined finesse and feistiness to become one of the most respected players of his time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Legends: Montreal’s Hockey Heroes
When anyone speaks of the best players of the early era of professional hockey, the name Aurel Joliat inevitably comes up. Listed officially at 5’7” and 136 pounds, Joliat was something of a dynamo who impressed all those who watched him play hockey. He understood the game very well and could sizzle with his stickhandling abilities. Joliat was quick on his skates and not the least bit afraid to use his stick if he had to protect himself.

….

Joliat could spin and turn like few other players and showed a great sense of anticipation. He could break up plays and counterattack quickly, knowing that he had to excel at the finesse game.

….

Throughout his career Joliat never lost any of his feisty nature. Even after suffering two displaced vertebrae, the result of falling some 35 feet off a roof, he was still able to play with an edge to his game. Joliat would take on the legendary Eddie Shore, a much bigger man with an even larger reputation for being tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trail of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1 – Biography
Probably the smallest player in the league, he only weighed about 140 pounds. His tricky skating made it difficult for bigger players to hit him with a solid check and he came in for a lot of trips and holding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Aurel Joliat proved that a small man can hold his own in hockey by becoming one of the finest left wingers ever to play. For 16 seasons, the little man soared up and down left wing with the Montreal Canadiens.

….

Joliat was an exceedingly tricky and agile skater, a winger so fast and so small he was difficult to hit. He didn’t have a hard shot, but it was accurate. Joliat scored 284 goals in 708 regular season and play-off contests. This master stick-handler could fade away from checkers like a wraith. But he was best known for his bullet-like speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey News: The Top 100 Players of All Time
Joliat was a magnificent two-way player whose 270 goals would tie Morenz on the all-time list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Left Wingers: Stars of Hockey’s Golden Age
Joliat was five foot 6 inches and 135 pounds. That made him one of the smallest and lightest players in NHL history, but he was one of the fastest, slickest, and toughest players of his era.

….

During one memorable game in the 1930s, Joliat controlled the puck during a penalty kill for a minute and a half.

….

Joliat might not have had Morenz’s speed but according to Rangers Frank Boucher, he was “as slippery as Howie Morenz was sift.” Joliat’s quickness was so frustrating that during one game, Babe Dye of the Toronto Maple Leafs skated over to the Montreal bench and said to Canadiens owner, Leo Danurand, “I’m tired of chasing that shadow of yours, the Flying Frenchman Joliat. Move him to centre, hold a mirror to each side of him, and you’ll have the fastest line in hockey.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Canadiens’ official website
At just 5-foot-6 and tipping the scales at 136 pounds, Joliat played in an era when men took care of themselves on the ice. Bigger men intent on inflicting physical damage soon found out that that Joliat refused to back down and often felt no obligation to drop his stick, especially when settling accounts with adversaries 50 pounds heavier.

Toughness combined with speed, smarts and shiftiness were Joliat’s trademarks for the next 16 seasons. Most NHLers of the 1920s and 30s had nicknames; Joliat had two. He was known as both “The Little Giant” and “The Mighty Atom”.

Wearing his trademark peaked cap, Joliat was an instant scoring sensation, finishing among the NHL’s leaders in his rookie campaign. A complete player, he was as proficient at thwarting an enemy’s rush down the ice as he was at creating his own scoring chances. Joliat was paired with Howie Morenz the following season and the two went on to form one of the most potent scoring duos of the NHL’s early years.

Joliat was a member of three championship teams. His first title came in 1924, before the Stanley Cup became exclusive property of the NHL. The Canadiens had to defeat both the Vancouver Millionaires and the Calgary Tigers to lay claim to being the top hockey team in Canada.

….

After a dozen years patrolling the left wing for the Montreal Canadiens, Joliat’s value to the team was officially recognized. He received the Hart Trophy, as the league’s most valuable player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Aurele Joliat was a prolific scorer and relentless backchecker during 16 rewarding seasons with the Montreal Canadiens. He never allowed his comparatively small frame to impede his progress in the NHL. Joliat often teamed with his good friend Howie Morenz to form one of the most potent offensive duos in league history. His blazing forays down the port side made him one of hockey's most exciting left wingers of all time, and his combination of speed and small size made him one of the trickiest skaters to bodycheck.

Joliat was acquired by the Montreal Canadiens when he was traded for the legendary Newsy Lalonde in one of the most controversial trades of hockey's early years. But in his rookie season, the Mighty Atom impressed fans with his speed and puckhandling abilities. He was also a feisty adversary who frustrated his larger opponents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Hockey Legends
He was a marvelous stickhandler and had an unusual abundance of "hockey sense," he simply did the right thing at the right time.

One Montreal writer of his era said, "He rolled away from 200-pounders, faded from the path of charging rivals and sidestepped and hurdled his way clear of smashing body-blows, flying elbows and jabbing butt-ends. His amazing quickness saved him from untold punishment over the years and kept him going like a brook, apparently forever."

….

Despite six shoulder separations, three broken ribs, and routine injuries such as five nose fractures, Aurel went on to score 270 goals, tying Morenz on the all-time list. He was also an outstanding checker, capable of stopping an opponent and then quickly starting a rush of his own.

….

Aurel was also known for a strange idiosyncrasies. For example, he wore a black baseball cap while he played, and wouldn't chase the puck without it. He was often the target of opponents who would swipe at that cap with a gloved hand. If they managed to dislodge it, a mighty roar of yeas and boos followed from the crowd. Aurel always retrieved his cap and put it on again to cover his bald spot. This lack of respect always infuriated Aurel, who played his best hockey when it happened.

And if Aurel didn't score then he saw to it that he slashed the cap-disturber across the ankles with a two-hander. Aurel was also noted for taunting his opponents, needling them until they ended up making mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Gagnon
Morenz may have been 'the Babe Rush of Hockey' but Jolait was more of an artist, a stickhandler. Aurele always made beautiful passes. He wasn't as fast as Morenz but he could move when he wanted to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Boucher
Aurele was as slippery as Howie Morenz was swift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Ferguson
Aurel Joliat was the playmaker on that line and the greatest playmaking left-winger of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coleman
He would dodge, flit, and with split-second timing, he could back pedal, evading the most formidable body checks, leaving some large and embarrassed defensemen floundering on the ice

….

He was smaller, you understand, and he fought back in his own way. He as singularly adept at sinking the butt end of his stick into the opponent’s ribs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie Morenz
If it wasn’t for Joliat, you wouldn’t be writing about me so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Dandurand
I think Aurel is the brainiest hockey player now in the game and one of the brainiest who ever played. He has more hockey sense than 10 ordinary players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Gagnon
Joliat was more of an artist, a strickhandler. Aurel always made beautiful passes. He wasn’t as fast as Morenz, but he could move when he wanted to. Joliat skated with short, choppy strides and manipulated the puck as if it were stuck to his stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cowley
One shift my first year, I remember I tried to run him through the boards. He put a deke on me, and I almost went through the boards myself. I was trying to knock that black cap off his head, and he skated by me and said, ‘Don’t try that again, young fella.’ He was small, but nobody could hit him. If they did, he could handle himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Boucher
Joliat was as slippery as Howie Morenz was swift.

Ultimate Hockey's All-Star Team of the 1920s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – March 11th, 1931
Aurel Joliat, chosen by 22 out of 37 sports writers of National Hockey League cities for left-wing on a mythical all-star team, and by one for centre berth, is the “Mighty Atom” of Montreal Canadiens, Canadian group leaders and holders of the Stanley Cup, emblematic of the world’s professional title. A tricky little offensive player and a smart checking center ice defence man, Joliat is one of the cleverest stickhandlers hockey has ever seen.

Weighting only 135 pounds and about 5 feet 7 inches in height, Joliat’s slim, wiry figure is ever in the thick of the play. His stick beats a brisk tatoo on the ice as he stickhandles his way through opposing teams. Diminutive compared with the majority of big league players, Joliat’s size and weight have not handicapped “Quette”, as French-Canadian fans know him. He skates fast and can turn on a dime, stopping with disconcerting suddenness in the midst of a rush so that his pursuers swing past him as he shifts, leaving him clear to continue his bewildering weaving dash in another direction.

The modern “David of the NHL” is not afraid of anybody, and has even upset such hockey goliaths as big Ching Johnson, massive Ranger defenceman, with a well-timed body check. He plays with a long-handled stick with scarcely any bend in it, enabling him to carry the puck far in front of him with better control. Remarkably quick on his feet, Joliat hurdles the sticks of opposing defencemen with grace and agility and has scored many a goal with a quick snap shot after stealing the puck off the stick of an opposing player. He often stickhandles his way around the goalkeeper to push the puck into the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridan Record, Feb 9, 1962
(Frank) Boucher tapped for his all-time team goalie Chuck Gardiner of the Chicago Black Hawks, defense men Eddie Shore of the Boston Bruins and Ching Johnson of the Rangers, Center Frank Nighbor of Ottawa, left winger Aurel Joliat of the Montreal Canadians and right winger Bill Cook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette – November 10th, 1938
Red Dutton, in his coming hockey piece, goes reminiscent and picks an all-time all-opponent hockey team with Tiny Thompson, Boston goalie, the only active player on the list…

On the forward line Dutton puts Bill Cook, Dick Irwin, and Aurel Joliat… Spreague Cleghorn and Eddie Gerard get his call for the defence jobs…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings of Ice by Andrew Podnieks et. al

Aurel Joliat was a prolific scorer and relentless backchecker during 16 rewarding seasons with the Montreal Canadiens. He never allowed his comparatively small frame to impede his progress in the NHL. Joliat often teams with his good friend Howie Morenz to form one o the most potent offensive duos in league history. His blazing forays down the port side made him one of hockey's most exciting left wingers of all time, and his combination of speed and small size made him one of the trickiest stars to bodycheck.

Many labeled Morenz as the key member of this explosive unit, but Joliat was unquestionably of equal value as a catalyst. Morenz himself said: "If it wasn't for Joliat, you wouldn't be writing about me so much."

His ability to break up plays defensively and quickly lead the counter attack provided the Canadiens with a feared transitional game. Over time, he earned the respect of many of the toughest players in the NHL because of his fearless refusal to back down in on-ice confrontations.

Last edited by Dreakmur: 06-18-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote