View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I agree with everything you said. But this very prevalent belief that the Leafs need to gut the entire team again seems crazy to me. I don't think you get rid of everyone. I think you supplement the good players (Kessel, Phaneuf) with better players (e.g. Kovalchuk, Richards, Parise, Suter, Getzlaf, Perry, Luongo, hopefully drafted players) and get rid of the expensive second tiered players (Grabovski, MacArthur, Lupul) as you plug the holes.

Instead you have all these people who are so content to be stuck in mediocrity waiting to draft the next Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin or something. It just seems very naive. There are genuine opportunies to vastly improve our roster and so many fans don't want to pull the trigger because money. It's like they think they're paying for the on ice product out of their own pocket or something.
The Leafs need a bit of gutting and a bit of patience. There's some good skill on the roster, but we have too much duplication. It's like they had an audition for top six roles and then they just kept the guys who weren't good enough, hoping they'd stick it out and contribute in an expanded top 9. But the problem with having a roster full of Kadri, MacArthur, Bozak, Kulemin, Grabovski taking up the middle class of the roster is that collectively, there isn't enough variety in their skillsets to adequately provide support for the top line. It was even worse when Lombardi and Connolly were still here.

In gutting the team, they need to pare down on the quantity of those kinds of players, find guys who can contribute in other ways to make better lines. They need to make decisions on who fits and who doesn't.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote