View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 07:58 PM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Thank You Mr. Wang

Before I begin, let me just say that I am not happy with many of the decisions made by the organization over the past twelve years. However, I think we all need to remind ourselves that if not for Wang, this team most certainly would have been sold to an owner who would have immediately moved the team far, far away.

Many of the early, terrible decisions were made by Mike Milbury, a man in which Wang placed much trust. Yes, Wang follows the beat of his own drum; yes, he signed Yashin and DP to ridiculous contracts. But when there was still a glimmer of hope on the horizon regarding getting a deal done for a new Coliseum, let the record show that Wang was indeed willing to spend money.

Did he have an ulterior motive, that being the Lighthouse project would have brought him lots of income? Maybe, but so what? He WAS SPENDING MONEY on the team. He is a business man, and the symbiotic relationship between the Lighthouse project and the NY Islanders would have meant that the Islanders would stay in Nassau for years to come. And, there was no reason to believe that Wang would not have spent a significant amount of money on players.

But losing millions of dollars per year while getting continually hosed by TOH/Nassau County is reason enough to reduce the payroll to the salary cap minimum. I do not blame him in the least. He tried private financing, he tried public financing. He exhausted all reasonable avenues.

I think that Wang's heart is in the right place. Does he sell after moving to Brooklyn? We'll see. But my feeling is that he will begin spending for A-level free agents either this summer or the summer after. His goal will be to field a competitive team that makes the playoffs and does some damage BEFORE arriving in Brooklyn.

That said, you should all be grateful that there is a NY Islanders to root for, and not the Seattle Fliers, Vegas Gamblers, or Quebec Nordiques. I think it is time to stop ragging on Wang, and time to say Thank You.

Last edited by beach: 01-27-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: .
beach is offline   Reply With Quote