View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The Kaberle trade was horrible, but it was made with the playoffs in mind. The Cammalleri trade...was not. And yes, it did save cap space, regardless of the stupid move PG made before that.
I don't care what the hell the guy was thinking. It was a ridiculous move that saddled us with a blueliner who's overpaid and well past his prime.

On the one hand you only want to look at what saves cap space and on the other you want to ignore what caused the cap space problem in the first place? And dude, it's not that much of a savings. He saddled us with two players that we can't wait to get rid of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Nowhere near as bad as Gainey's cap management.

It's not even something we have to worry about with a buyout for this summer.
Gainey's cap management was great. Then somebody stole his brain and he went after Gomez and co. I didn't understand it then and don't understand it now. But this isn't the Gainey thread.

Your argument seems to be... sure PG is like lung cancer but Gainey is like brain cancer. Well, none of us want either one so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
First, regardless of whether or not the trade was good, you have to agree that trading him during the game is the right move. Cammalleri is an elite injury player. He missed 16 games in 2011-2012, 15 games in 2010-2011, 17 games in 2009-2019, 19 games in 2007-08. Once you have a deal in place for Cammalleri that you think is good, you have to trade him, or you risk not being able to trade him at all.

Sure, Gauthier could have waited until the deadline to bid up that price, but there was a solid possibility Cammalleri could have become untradeable due to yet another injury. Once you have a satisfactory deal in place, you move imo.

Second, it's a good trade. We're getting a high second rounder in a deep draft. We're getting Patrick Holland who is equivalent to a 2nd rounder imo, and Rene Bourque is a decent gamble. I'd rather do the trade without Bourque involved, but maybe it was required. It must be very hard to unload a contract with a lot of term for an overpaid player.

Cammalleri is a player who is a 1st liner on a bad team and a 2nd liner on a good team. At 6 million dollars, he won't be a hot commodity.
Trading him during the game is not the right move. I'm not even going to elaborate on the stupidity of trading a guy during a game, it speaks for itself. You want to disagree that is your right. The trade was panned when it happened, many of us wrote at length on how stupid it was and this isn't one of those things that I really feel like re-hashing.

I will just say that PG pretty much sucked. As bad as Houle? Maybe not but he wasn't good.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote