View Single Post
Old
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The bottom line is this, we have the same core of players that hasn't gotten this team anywhere, yet Grabo is rewarded with a 5.5 5 year contract that may or may not be movable. Moving him for Luongo at the deadline or summer after we unintentionally tank for Jones hopefully is one creative way of allocating cap resources better. #1G all star for #2 overpaid C is a good trade off to me.

Dion and Kessel, 2 guys that will be UFA's if not re-signed after 13-14 is another option to move each to teams that are farther advanced and a better fit this year.

Lupul is signed, would have rather we haven't. But 5.25M at some point should be movable.

The point is we have a good farm system, good prospects, maintain the draft/develop/promote philosophy.

Maybe we get lucky and sign a Chara and Thomas as Boston did to expedite the rebuild. But they also drafted well and developed key players to the Cup winning team.

This is the approach we should look at, not reinvent the wheel.
Yep, I agree about Grabovski. Pretending for a minute that he's a big piece of the Leafs, I think his contributions are covered by Kadri and Bozak. Shifting his bloated contract for Luongo would at least get us some strength in net. Let's face it, Luongo would be up there with Kessel and Phaneuf as the pillars of the team. The bad contracts cancel out.

The offseason will be a time to determine what to do with Phaneuf and Kessel. I'd be inclined to keep both, though if we could trade Phaneuf for a younger centerman, you'd have to consider it.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote