View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Being that it seems like I'm the only person in this thread who has skated through this very same injury, half of you are incorrectly assuming it's "really difficult" to skate through and the other half are assuming it's a fabrication or not a big deal. It's neither. It's discomfort. A bone chip in the ankle is different from the diagnosis of a chipped ankle bone. You might think that's semantics or I'm splitting straws, but that's not the case. The diagnosis of a bone chip, in the ankle, is a tiny (we're talking teenie-tiny) chip of bone that is currently sitting in the ankle area and thus applying pressure to the tendons and ligaments, and rubbing against them, when you do certain activities. The bone chip may have originated from either of the shin bones that terminate in the ankle joint, and also may have originated on the upper foot and moved into the ankle. It's not classified as a chipped, broken or fractured ankle because it's too insignificant in size and may not actually be a piece of the ankle at all. All of this said, it's an "injury" that you can very easily skate through, as Kreider obviously has. It's an injury that can easily go undiagnosed. It creates soreness and tenderness in the ankle, usually on the top of the ankle, where your laces would sit but only to the degree that you might think a slash or a shot off the boot caused it. The difference is that it won't subside with ice and rest and it will bother you when walking and doing every day activities if you continue to play on it.

You need to rest it to allow the ligaments that are being effected to get some relief. The chip, usually, will take care of itself and your bodily processes, plus the grind of walking around and such will eventually turn the chip into dust, but if you continue to push it, it will cause the ligaments to remain inflamed, which is where the discomfort is coming from and what draws attention to the injury in the first place, leads you to get it checked out and results in the diagnosis. So for anyone who believes it is a fabrication or that Kreider wouldn't have been playing/we would have known about this earlier... you literally couldn't be further from accurate. It's so easy for something like this to go completely undiagnosed. For those of you who want to believe this 'explains' Kreider's poor performance... you're closer to the truth, but still probably making more of it than it really is. It's an easy injury to play through (which is why he's been doing so). Yes, it will definitely effect you. Your top gear might be a lot harder to push yourself into (not because you can't do it, just psychologically knowing, if I push real hard, my ankle is not going to feel good) and you might be hesitant to make a really hard cut to the side that's effected but, at the same time, it truly feels more like an ache and pain/bruised ankle kind of thing than you would think. Of course, the severity can vary, but given that Kreider has been playing (and, in my humble opinion, not been bad, just simply unnoticeable) I would imagine that it's not much different than I am explaining it to be and that is both why Kreider has skated through it and why he eventually got it checked out, discovered it and is now resting it.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote