View Single Post
Old
12-15-2003, 01:50 AM
RoadWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewind Dale
I'm wary because he is, afterall, 19 going on 20, playing with a lot of younger guys. His strength/advanced development may have something to do with his domination. I've never seen him in person, though, so my concerns may be unfounded. However, everything I've heard/read from scouts looks positive so he should be a good one. His versatility as a winger should come in useful because I don't see him ever claiming a pivot spot in Toronto with Sundin, Antropov, Steen, Stajan, etc. all ahead on the depth charts. If he turns into a solid second line winger, then I'll be ecstatic. Hopefully we see him in St. John's next season.
I wouldn't describe his development as advanced. Two years ago he was an unheralded fourth line winger in junior who was drafted late in the midget draft. Then last season he scores 93 points out of the blue. Most prognosticators and scouts probably thought his season last year was an anomaly and he'd fall back to earth this year but not only has he not regressed he's gotten even better. Williams is a guy who didn't learn to skate until he was 18 much like Brent Burns with Minnesota. A classic late bloomer with plenty of upside. I do see his future on the wing in the NHL emulating the play of Darcy Tucker.