View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Ted Black

vCash: 500
Hey guys, I'm through reading the first 12 pages and I'll continue through the rest of the thread tonight or in the next couple of days. I'm trying to get as much "intel" as possible now that I'm in the skate market.

Background on me:

I saw another poster on here describe himself as skating for just three years, but that that fact surprises people; I'm in the same boat. I would consider myself a strong skater for my level at least. I've attended an adult skills camp that's ran by an ex-NHLer the last three summers . So I've got the basics down pretty well.

My first pair of skates (and the skates that I still own) are Reebok 5k. Can anyone tell me what year these were made or which years they were available? I think at the time there were 7k, 9k, and probably 11k above it in Reebok's line at the time, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out with this? I bought them in March '10, but I think they were at least a year old when I bought them new. I'm curious what level of skate I had and what the equivalent would be in this years RBK line.

I had great luck with my 5ks, but they're worn (at least I think). I've skated 3-4 times a week the last 3 years of them and I'm about 220lbs. I'm hoping to get into a new skate with better technology that can help me get up to the next level. From everything I've read, I think the right skate can provide me the opportunity to do so.

My 5ks fit great. I did a lot of reading before I bought them initially so I knew what to look for and we have one good LHS here in Omaha. I might stick with RBK again but I tried on a pair of 14k or 16k skates a year ago (whenever they came out) and to me it felt like Reebok had totally changed the shape of the boot? I'll have to try again. I plan on trying on lots of different skates but of course I'd love some insight from the pros in this thread too.

I did the pencil test last night on my skates and the pencil barely touched, so I guess I passed. If I could have it my way I would pick a skate that was SLIGHTLY wider in the midfoot (is this the forefoot? lol) and maybe slightly deeper than what I'm in now. When I first got my 5ks my left skate pinched a bit on the midfoot, but it went away very quick. In fact, I don't know that it ever bothered me on the ice, possibly just when I first got them and wore them around the house a bit; can't remember for sure.

So, here is where I stand:

I love my RBK skates that I've had and common sense would say to go RBK again, but after trying them on last year, I don't think it's going to be this easy. From what I've read, similar lines that might work are CCMs and Supreme. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm probably going to end up getting the second best pair in whatever brand I end up getting. The top of the lines are just a bit too expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance. Look forward to some helpful comments! :fingers crossed: