View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 03:28 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Glen is waiting for that PMD to be available. I think we can see a potential deal with the Sharks involving Braun/Demers and Kreider/Hagelin.
Also, if we just could play a "decent" game, I much rather wait instead of making a move now.

Alot could be done with this roster that really makes sense. But five of twelve forwards are new for the season. That's 41%, and it shows. Alot of players are still up in the air in terms of end product. Last year McD was the big leader on defense, and Staal and MDZ wasn't huge contributors. Now Staal and MDZ have played some amazing hockey, while McD and Girardi has looked more like a 2nd pairing. Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider and co, all we can do is guess. When you make a move, its darn important that its the right one.

I see that Ryan O'Reilly might be available in Colorado. O'Reilly plays the game with a ton of energy and always moves his feets. He got decent offensive skills on top of that. If our 1st line center is Brad Richards and our 3rd line center is Brian Boyle -- to be perfectly honest Ryan O'Reilly seem like a much better fit for the 2nd line center spot than Derek Stepan.

At the same time,
1) I wouldn't want to have 6 new players on the roster instead of 5, we are supposed to compete this year and next year. 5 is basically too much to start with.
2) Derek Stepan has not yet landed. He is improving if ever so slowely. I would have loved to see him take a bigger step this long off-season, show up with a bit more bite in his skating and what not. But he is still very young. 3) We don't know where we have JT Miller yet. People need to remember that he is still only 19 y/o. Marc Staal was returned to juniors at that age. Everyone remember how young MDZ were his rookie season, right? JT Miller is that age now. He is what, 2-3 years younger than Kreider? I really like what I see from JT Miller. He will become a player, and could become a very solid homegrown top 2 line Ranger. If he can play at the end of the year or next year, the need for O'Reilly over Stepan becomes alot less pressing. Or JT Milller makes both expandable, and instead of moving Stepan for another 2nd line center, he could be moved for a really good PPQB. Or, hopefully, Stepan just grows into his role in NY and makes himself impossible to move with his play. Which would be the best option for sure.
3) We also gotta take care of the locker-room.