View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 06:58 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
The Canadian Press: New Leaf Phil Kessel meets Toronto media (September 19, 2009)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-toronto-media

Leafs general manager Brian Burke and his latest recruit, former Bruin Phil Kessel, meet media at the Air Canada Centre on Sept. 19, 2009.

Quote:
Phil Kessel is excited about playing hockey-mad Toronto.

The 21-year-old forward met the media for the first time Saturday, a day after being acquired by the Maple Leafs for three draft picks.

"Toronto is the best hockey city in the world, the fans are great and the Leafs are a first-class organization," said Kessel during a press conference at Air Canada Centre prior to Toronto's pre-season game with the Philadelphia Flyers.

"They just know their hockey here in Toronto. I want to be a part of it and be a part of this organization."

The Leafs sent their first-round picks in 2010 and 2011, plus a second-round pick in 2010 to the Bruins after Boston was unable to re-sign the speedy winger. After the trade, Kessel signed a $27-million (U.S.), five-year contract with Toronto.

"Obviously there's going to be pressure, but I'm going to work as hard as I can and try to help get this team into the playoffs," said Kessel, who scored 36 goals in 70 games last season. "I want to be considered a great player in this league, and I'm going to work as hard as I can. I'm here to help this team win."
Quote:
Leafs GM Brian Burke added the Leafs have high hopes for their new sniper.

"We look at the 36 goals he scored last year as a platform to what he can accomplish, not a peak," Burke said. "The way we play, it's like someone wrote a script that this is the team he'd want to be on."