Old
01-28-2013, 08:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 500
from the old out of town thread, figure it would fit better here

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic
I think DAChampion was suggesting to Lafleurs guy (big fan of rebuilding through tanking or similar) that the Blues are a good example of not using that strategy (i.e., abject tanking, not retooling). LG then replied that in fact their model does follow his since Pietrangelo is integral to their success.

Hopefully I clarified that correctly. Your to decide whether it's the trades that made the difference or their draft position. I tend to lean towards retooling and good trades along with a Chucky-like drafting. Thus (and I'm totally serious), I think we (Habs) are finally set to be a real true contender in future years. I know this was about St. Louis, but holy crap I'm just blown away by Galchenyuk and how he is going to be the best Habs player skater since our last Cup and IMO an NHL superstar (I swear I do not get as hyped about prospects, ever, and if he need time and junior, fine, but he will be). Gallagher is a boss too.
blues drafting and trades since '03 (some might be off since i'm sleepy as hell, but the picks and players they acquired are accurate). important to note that they got their first line center way back in '03, before john Davidson (hired in june '06) and the retool

-=2011=-
no first round pick

-=2010=-
14th overall - schwartz
16th overall - tarasenko
pick acquired from ottawa for david rundblad (who would eventually be flipped for kyle turris by ottawa)
-=2009=-
17th overall - david rundblad
traded to ottawa for 2010 first round pick (tarasenko)
-=2008=-
4th overall - pietrangelo

-=2007=-
13th overall - lars eller
pick acquired from san jose (from toronto) for 9th overall (logan couture), 2nd round pick (palushaj), 3rd pick (ian schultz)
traded to montreal for halak
18th overall - ian cole
acquired from calgary for 1st round pick (24th overall backlund) and 3rd round pick
26th overall - david perron
44th overall - aaron palushaj
pick acquired from san jose (see above)
trade to montreal for matt d'agostini
-=2006=-
1st overall - erik johnson
24th overall - berglund
pick acquired from devils for 1st round pick (30thoverall), 3rd round pick. pick was originally acquired by trading doug weight to carolina
-=2005=-
24th overall - TJ oshie

-=2004=-
nobodies

-=2003=-
62nd overall - david backes
148th overall - lee stepniak
traded to toronto for alex steen and carlo 'splody bones' Colaiacovo
other notable trades:
- andy mcdonald.
- Kevin Shattenkirk and Chris Stewart for johnson and jay mcclement

what i see is a bubble team that moved up the draft when they wanted to, moved down the draft when they could, got an extra 1st round pick whenever possible, and some very keen trading (mcdonald, d'agostini, halak, steen and so on), but a playoff bubble team regardless.

and let's not forget the biggest reason for the blues success: Ken mother****ing Hitchcock.

even last year before he got hired as head coach, they were going nowhere fast. you don't need to have a long memory, just remember last season. then, enter superken and his 450 feet of non-trapping defensively responsible play: they go from basement to top dogs in the west in the span of weeks culminating in a deep playoff run.

anyways, i obviously was quite bored, enjoy ^

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 01-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.